Recent scandals in the profession have placed renewed emphasis on quality control and ethical conduct.
Regulators including the National Treasury, Department of Trade and Industry, SAQA, IRBA and SARS have been requested by Parliament to implement new regulations to clamp down on unprofessional conduct by accountants and auditors.
In response, SAIBA has issued a new requirement applicable to SAIBA BAP (SA) designation holders in the form of Annual Practice Licence (APL)
What is Annual Practice Licence (APL)?
The APL is a self-assessment that all SAIBA members with the designation BAP(SA) are required to complete annually effective 1 July 2018.
The APL test the BAP(SA)’s knowledge of the standards required to manage an accounting practice, and provide professional services to clients.
The APL is conducted online and has to be submitted to SAIBA annually prior to renewal of fees.
- All APL assessments are conducted online.
- July is APL month.
- All members that joined prior to January are required to write the APL in the month of July following January.
- All members that join from January onwards will only write the APL in the following year.
- SAIBA will provide a study plan to members to explain what to study from January to June in order to prepare for the July APL.
- The APL only opens in July of every year.
- The APL is taken free of charge
- The APL consist of 50 Multiple Choice questions counting 1 mark each. The pass rate is 70%.
- The study materials include the standards as detailed above. Members must use the materials to prepare for the assessment.
- Members may use the materials during the assessment.
- The format of the assessment is an open book, self-assessment, online and with a 60 minutes duration.
- Each BAP(SA) is allowed two (2) opportunities to write and pass.
- If the pass mark is not achieved, SAIBA will contact you to discuss a development plan with the aim of improving your knowledge and understanding.
- If you fail after the third attempt the matter will be handed to the investigations committee and a practice review will be conducted.
Your Course Material:
- EME Affidavit
- Guide to Accounting Officers Engagement for NPOs
- Guide to Accounting Officer Reporting Engagements
- Commissioner of Oaths – Guide for Business Accountants in Practice
- Independent Review
- Guide to issuing Immigration Certificates
- CPD Policy
- Regulation of Accountants
- Technical Updates
- Code of Conduct
- Financial Reporting
- Responding to Non-Compliance to Laws and Regulations
- IFRS for SMEs
- Guide to Practice Management for Small- and Medium-sizes PracticesISRS 4400