The Accounting and auditing work applicable to public schools
The SA Schools Act 84 of 1996 (SASA) governs public schools. Section 43(1) requires a governing body of a public school to appoint a person to audit the records and financial statements. This person must be a registered auditor in terms of the Auditing Profession Act 26 of 2005.
If an audit is not reasonably practicable, the governing body of the school may appoint a CIPC verified Accounting Officer to examine and report on the records and financial statements of the school.
Only SAIBA members that:
- Have obtained the designation BAP(SA);
- Are verified by the CIPC as Accounting Officers, and
- Have obtained the SAIBA License in School Accounting may provide professional work for Schools. Go to Profesional Development – Bercome a Specialist to read more about this license.
BAP(SA)s that have obtained the License:
- Know and understand the various laws and regulations that details the Schools financial management obligations;
- Can therefore be used by the School as consultants and advisors to improve their financial management;
- Perform bookkeeping services;
- Assist with preparing financial statements;
- Assist with tax compliance;
- If feasible provide examination as Accounting Officer;
- If an audit is require the BAP(SA) can assist the School to prepare for the audit; and
- Refer the School to a SAIBA approved audit referral firm. This reduces costs and maintains independence as the auditor cannot perform bookkeeping and accounting work for audit clients.
Find below resources available to accounting officers, auditors, and Schools to ensure independence and segregation of duties:
- Find a BAP(SA): How to find a licensed BAP(SA) members for your School;
- SAIBA approved audit referral partner: Read more about the SAIBA approved audit referral firm to perform the audit for your School;
- Examination vs Audit: Should the School qualify for an examination by a licensed BAP(SA) Accounting Officer then the SAIBA Guide for Examination must be followed.
- DBA Circulars: The DBA Circulars explaining the relationship between the bookkeeper, accountant, auditor, IRBA, CIPC and SAIBA.
- School Financial Statements: The draft financial reporting guide that licensed BAP(SA)s will use to prepare the Schools financial statements.
- Contracts: Engagement letters to be used when entering into a service agreement with the licensed BAP(SA).
- Contact: How to contact SAIBA should you need help with finding an Accounting Officer, Auditor or need to lay a complaint due to poor service.
- Videos: Webinars that explain how SAIBA support Schools.
- CPD: Training for BAP(SA)s that perform examinations for Schools