If this is you then apply for the CBA(SA)
- Anyone working within the management level of a finance or accounting department.
- Typical roles eligible for the designation include: Finance Controller, Credit Controller, Comptroller, Corporate Controller, Finance lawyer, Commerical lawyer, Investment bankers, Relationship Manager, Relationship banker, Procurement Manager, Treasury Analyst, etc.
- Financial managers from any nationality that may have an interest in Southern Africa
The job descriptions associated with a CBA(SA)
There are a variety of job descriptions associated with the CBA(SA) designation. This short summary explains more about what is expected of a CBA(SA) within the finance department.
CBA(SA) is an official designation registered in terms of the National Qualifications Framework Act, 67 of 2008. The entry criteria for the designation as published in Government Gazette is:
- Qualification requirement:
- B Com Hons, CTA, or Commerce based Advanced Diploma.
- Alternative qualifications and exemptions may be applicable, for example professional levels achieved from a professional body. Click here to read more
- NQF8 or higher
- Experience requirement:
- 2 years relevant experience at the operational level in finance department or as a trainee in practice.
- 4 years relevant experience in finance department at a managerial level
- Experience will be verified by way of a logbook completed by employer and correlation with credit bureaus
- Confirmation by employers that you achieved 34 critical competencies at a comprehension level
- Completion of a course and assessment in ethics.
- Completion of a course in technology and business
- Private practice:
- CBA(SA) holder may not act in private practice e.g. only BAP(SA) holders are allowed to act as accountants in private practice or as accounting officers. You can add this designation to your CBA(SA)
The application process and post-designation requirements
- Register as a CIBA member
- Complete the CBA(SA) application form and confirm you are a person in good standing.
- Submit certified copies of your ID and latest CV
- Submit certified copies of academic transcripts. Make sure you have the required subjects or obtain them via the CIBA Academy
- Provide proof of relevant completed qualifications (qualification must include 3 of the following subjects, alternatively you may have obtained these subjects separately for non-degree purposes: Accounting, Auditing, Tax, Management Accounting, Financial management, Commercial law.):
Advanced National Diploma: Accounting, Cost and management, Management, Entrepeneurship etc.
B Com Hons: Accounting, Investment, Business Management, Cost and Management, Internal Audit, Economics, Financial sciences, Law, Marketing management
Having passed professional levels from an accredited professional accounting body e.g. CIMA Certificate, Operational and Management levels, ACCA Advanced diploma in accounting and business.
A SAQA evaluation and alignment certificate indicating the comparative South African qualification if the qualification was obtained from a Non South African institute of higher learning.
Relevant prior learning obtained in the form of part qualifications, modules, short courses or similar courses completed and which CIBA as recognised for membership purposes. In this case the experience requirements are adjusted to 10 years demonstratable experience within an accounting firm environment.
Membership of a professional body that ascribes to the membership criteria of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) or a professional body with whom CIBA has signed a membership agreement, and whom CIBA has recognised for membership purposes.
- Experience: Comprehension level
- Complete the workplace experience assessment and confirmation by employer. You will be required to complete an Examination-By-Experience. This consists of self-assessment, and employer verification of obtaining 34 critical competencies at an awareness level. Download the competencies here
- You will be redirected to a secure online payment portal to pay your CBA(SA) designation fee. This can be paid annually or monthly via debit order.
- We will evaluate your application and supporting documents to monitor compliance of 34 critical competencies employers require at the management level.
- Once your application is approved we will email you confirmation of registration and certificate.
Continuous quality confirmation is a hallmark of the CBA(SA) designation. This gives credibility and is valued by employers.
Complete the CIBA endorsed CIMA course in ethics and assessment. This must be repeated annually and must be obtained within 6 months of being awarded a designation.
- Technology and business
Complete the CIBA endorsed CIMA course in technology and business. This must be repeated annually and must be obtained within 6 months of being awarded a designation.
A BA(SA) needs to log 30 hours continuing professional development (CPD) per annum. CPD is required by law from all accountants in South African that has earned a designation. It shows your commitment to lifelong learning, and must be obtained from CIBA. Click here to book your CIBA CPD program
CBA(SA), because you deserve it
- Registration on the National Database of Accountants in terms of the NQF Act, 2008
- Proof that you are committed to ethical conduct and lifelong learning
- Proof that you belong to a community of professionals and have subjected yourself to peer review and self-improvement
- Use of the official designatory letters: CBA(SA) or Certified Business Accountant (SA) next to your name
- Employers obtain objective confirmation that you have obtained 34 critical competencies required at the management level of the finance department.
- The CBA(SA) designation is your stepping stone to the prestigious CFO(SA) designation.
- Articulation into the BAP(SA) designation should you decide to start a part-time or full time accounting practice.
- Access to job opportunities
- Marketing and promotion
- Access to accounting news and developments
- Networking opportunities at CIBA events
- Personal and professional development seminars and free webinars
- Pathway to specialist licenses
Do even more with your designation
- Option 1: Upgrade to CBA(SA) + CPD
For an additional amount of R200 pm or R2160 pa we will provide you with:
- Quick Update CPD - Monthly webinar updates on compliance topics related to SARS, CIPC, IRBA, IFRS, Professional body guides, Labour law, FIC, and big law updates. CPD is offered by the CIBA learning academy.
- Option 2: Upgrade to CBA(SA) + CPD + Specialist Licenses
For an additional amount of R617 pm or R7400 pa we will provide you with:
- A BAP(SA) designation to start your part time practice
- Quick Update CPD - Monthly webinar update on topics related to SARS, CIPC, IRBA, IFRS, Professional body guides, Labour law, FIC, and big law updates.
- Any two licenses available on CIBA Academy’s Specialise page, excluding:
- Business Rescue,
- Procurement License and
- ESG Reporting License
- Contact us on 012 643 1800 or send an email to email@example.com should you require more information about the process.